Saturday, September 26, 2009

Thing 2 A Day in the Life of Web 2.0

I have an unusual teaching assignment. I teach at the Planetarium. Believe me when I say that I am fully aware of what a great gig I have; but I do miss not having my own students. I miss the regular, daily conversations that teachers have with their students. I feel it is the teacher/student relationship, built through regular communication in a school building, that facilitates authentic learning.

I do not know what potential may exist on the Web 2.0, but I am looking for ways to initiate and sustain communication with the students that visit the Planetarium. Perhaps unrealistic, I can see not without risks, but at least this is an avenue that I feel I must explore.

This will be a stretch for me. Communication has never come easily and I feel quite comfortable being a private person. The thought of opening a Face Book account makes me uneasy and I suspect that a Twitter account would be a waste of time. I get my pod-casts listening to NPR. But I will be open minded and I'll be keeping my eyes open too, and perhaps I'll find a really useful tool I can use to benefit the students in this district.

No comments:

Post a Comment